Saturday, June 16, 2012

Relay For Life, 2012

I went to an event last night called Relay For Life. Let me tell you, that event is the highlight of the year. Relay For Life is an event where a whole lot of people gather at the West Ottawa high school track and we try to raise money to try and find a cure for cancer. People walk around the track too, so that they can feel like they are doing something to help. Walking is optional, though. I go with my neighbors. My mom use to come, also. We set up tents all around the track and just camp out for the night. (It's a 24 hour event.) Most of it, we just hang out by the tent or walk laps. It was so hot on Friday, I got so sunburned that I was sent to the First Aid place that was there. It looked like I had a mask on because of how sun burnt I was. And then of course, the people at the first aid station just start putting on LOADS of sunscreen on me, and it BURNED. I said thank you to the people who put it on, and ran to the tent and wiped it all off. Lesson learned. Put on sunscreen BEFORE you get burned. Anyway, at about 10:00pm, there is a walk where there are bags with candles inside of them. The bags say names of people who have survived cancer, and people who have passed away from cancer. The bags are handmade. I made two for my mom. You can't walk that lap without shedding at least one tear. I was doing fine until they started lighting the lanterns, and then sending them out into the sky. Somebody pointed them out to me, and I couldn't keep it together anymore. I bawled. Thankfully, my youth group leader was there with me. Usually my mom walks this lap with me. . . but, she couldn't this year, and never will be able to again.  The lanterns that floated into the sky kind of reminded me of what happened to my mom. She kept getting sicker, and sicker, and then she was gone. The lights in the sky kept getting farther and farther away... and then they were gone. I don't know if that really made sense... but, last night it made sense to me. . in a way.
I walked 15 and a quarter miles for my mom.
I love you, mom.
Miss you.
See you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Your strength and resolve to push on is inspiring and brings hope to many. Your witness for Christ shines through you so brightly....almost like your sunburn :) Proud of you, girl!

    ReplyDelete